What are you serving at your Fourth of July gathering? We'll be headed to the beach with friends and I'm sure we'll be having hamburgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob, watermelon, apple pie...
This classic (but old) recipe always pleases a crowd and is quite easy to make. I've had it at many gatherings and made it myself as well. Try it: Strawberry Jello Pretzel Dessert. This recipe is from cdkitchen.com. I've also seen in in Taste of Home, Family Circle and other magazines / websites.
- 2 cups crushed pretzels
- 3/4 cup melted butter [or margarine]
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tub (9 ounce size) Cool Whip
- 1 cup sugar [1/4-1/2 cup is fine, too]
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 packages (3 ounce size) strawberry [or raspberry, just make sure it is red] Jello gelatin
- 1 package (16 ounce size) frozen sweetened strawberries [or 2 cups fresh]
- 2 cups boiling water
- For Crust: Combine pretzels, butter and 1/4 cup sugar. Press into 9 x 13 baking dish and bake at 350F for 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- For White Layer: Cream together cream cheese and 1 cup sugar. Fold in Cool Whip. Spread over pretzel crust.
- For Red Layer: Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in frozen strawberries, Chill until partially set, about 1 hour and spread over white layer. Chill until set and serve.